Winchester Figure Skating Club
Basic Safety Rules for Freestyle Sessions
Please note that failure to adhere to these rules may possibly result in suspension of skating privileges.
Right of Way
Clearing the ice
- No guest coaches are permitted.
- All skaters, coaches, spectators, and monitors must be masked (regardless of vaccination status) both on and off the ice.
- All ice must be pre-purchased through EntryEeze (members and non-members).
- Skaters, coaches, visitors must comply with all FMC protocols (entry/exit, traffic flow within the building, restricted areas, etc.).
- Skaters/coaches should expect to play their own music for practicing programs, while skaters wear an orange vest/scarf. Ice monitors may assist with music playing, but they are not required to help with this task.
- Do not exceed the limit for number of skaters on a freestyle session (22 skaters)
- Do not bring breakable containers rink side. No food or gum chewing on the ice.
- Water bottles must be kept on the boards. All liquids must be clear.
- The skater wearing the red/orange vest, doing his/her program, has the ultimate right of way.
- Stay aware of other skaters on the ice.
- Try to anticipate other skater’s patterns as you decide your own.
- Look ahead for other skaters, especially if you are an inexperienced skater.
- Be patient with less experienced skaters.
- Look both ways before skating across the ice.
- Avoid sudden stops.
- NO BACK SPIRALS/BACK LEG RAISES OR BACK SHOOT THE DUCKS PERMITTED WITHOUT A COACH BY THE SKATERS SIDE.
- Hockey lessons should try to avoid MIF patterns. Please yield to the side or end of the rink.
- No super fast skating up and down the ice.
- Earbuds/headphones may not be worn on the ice
Right of Way
- All spins should be done in the center of the ice, unless being performed as part of the skater's program
- NO spins may be done on the side of the rink. Especially camel spins, which are very dangerous.
- Lutz jumps should be done in the two lutz corners. Toe jumps and edge jumps should be done at the ends behind the blue lines. Stand still jumps at the end of the rink. Please see rink diagram posted at every freestyle session
- Skaters and coaches must share the available time to play music
- Program music must be played on a rotational basis
- A skater may only have 1 CD in the rotation at any given time
- After a skaters music has been played, that skater's music (or 2nd CD) may be re-entered in the rotation at the back of the order
- No restarts of ANY program allowed (unless there is a problem with the music)
- Coaches may cut into the rotation to put a CD in for a skater in a lesson, ahead of skaters NOT in lessons.
- Coaches should be aware of skaters on the ice and try to stay out of the way by teaching as much as possible from the boards
- All coaches may instruct skaters on the ice. We do not allow nonmember coaching from off the ice.
- Professionals must wear skates on the ice.
- The harness may only be used by professionals on WFSC sessions, no exceptions. Harness must also be put away properly after use.
- Professionals should stay near the boards as much as possible.
- Coaches should not follow a skater through their program, unless it contains back spiral/leg raise or back shoot the duck.
- Coaches teaching edges should NOT use the middle lines during a busy session. Use the ends to work on these.
Clearing the ice
- When the ice resurface signals the end of a session, ALL skaters and coaches must leave the ice immediately. If you are skating to your program music, please stop skating and leave the ice.